Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Righteous Man?

Righteousness (also called rectitude) is a theological concept in Christianity, Judaism, Islam and Hinduism. It is an attribute that implies that a person's actions are justified, and can have the connotation that the person has been "judged" or "reckoned" as leading a life that is pleasing to God.  Wikipedia 2015

About once a month I have lunch with someone I've known for many years; first meeting while we both worked for the same law enforcement agency.  Aside from being the pastor of one of the most well respected and socially in-tuned churches in our community, my lunch buddy also leads the chaplain corp of the same police department we worked for.


We both are fascinated with history, leadership, writing and fountain pens.  It's nothing to spend three hours at our local Cracker Barrel talking about our mutual interests, especially fountain pens.


Early on in our most recent lunch my buddy wanted me to install a cartridge converter into one of his fountain pens.  Ha, I said, no problem and quickly wrapped the pen in a protective sleeve,
 placing it straight  away into my briefcase without another thought about this pen, and we continued with our geek-filled conversation.


Late that same night I was finishing up my scheduled pen repairs for the day.  I was scrubbing the mental checklist in my head to set the stage for the next workday when I remembered my buddy's pen.   It was still in my brief case, which was now lying on the reading chair in my workshop. It was close to midnight.  Usually I have either a variety of music or a pod cast playing; but for some reason there was a peaceful silence in the air.  I shrugged my shoulders and said "OK, that's cool too", grabbed my briefcase and sat down at my desk. Choosing 

not to disturb the uncommon quiet; I pulled out the pen...

My routine, as with most professional restorers, is to make a cursory look over the pen to get an idea of its condition and note any symptoms or damage that need attention.  I recognized the green and black marbled brass pen to be a Waterman's Laureat...


I leave the nib (the writing point) purposely for the last part of my inspection.  The nib is considered to be the heart of the pen, so I take my time by using my loupe (a small magnifying glass used by jewelers and watchmakers) and give the it a thorough investigation before logging the pen into the repair queue and assigning it a storage bunk.  After that I was ready to call it a day.... Or so I thought...


Just two seconds of inspection caused me to lean way back in my office chair quietly sighing "wow, this pen has written many miles".  The nib of this pen is a very nice standard 14 CT gold plated with a fine to medium point. However, the gold plating has worn in such a way that it now has an amazing reverent glow about it that cued up some reflection...






During the first decade of the 21st Century the police department mentioned above, along with the citizens it serves experienced several critical situations that forever changed this community. One such situation involved an entire class of algebra students, along with their teacher, being taken hostage by a gunman and held for more than 10 hours.   Another terrifying example was later termed "The Night of the Tornado's".  On this night in early April 2006 there were a series of destructive tornadoes that left 15 people dead, 82 injured and over a billion dollars in damage...


Focusing back on the nib again, my eyes started drifting up the length of the pen, going from the nib to the gripping section, up the barrel and to finally, the image of the man behind this pen... 


How many life changing events had this man penned with this  instrument...The many happy thank you notes and cards, the countless marriage certificates and baptismal certificates, important church documents and the far too many sad letters of condolences...


I began to think back on our many discussions over the years, especially the lunches that my friend and I shared. He had always greeted me with the same large smile that puts anyone at a comfortable ease and that always facilitated the deep discussion about what was prevalent in the now, the past, but most importantly on into the future...


Sitting across the table, I know my friend can see the many facets of grey that reside within me.  However, he has never once judged me or made me feel less worthy or insignificant; nor has he even hinted that I was not living my life right.  On the contrary, I always left our lunches with a much greater sense of self and worthiness and much more importantly, inspired.


A look at his Facebook page and immediately I see a warm and loving husband and father who is genuinely adored by his wife and three children.


When one looks at my friend's professional web site, they will see such terms as: Family + Values + Living + Leadership + Ministry + Resources..The one word that stands out to me, however, as the sum to that equation is HOPE.


I've seen this man console and comfort many people; the families of the hostages that were taken at the college and yes, the family of the hostage taker.  My buddy never missed a beat and naturally treated all families involved with the same warmth, respect, love, and compassion.  He was also present at the hospital emergency room on that devastating night of tornadoes, that next morning, and through to the next night with little or no break at all.


This man has comforted and counseled many of the police officers in our agency.  I was probably his best customer for a time.  But I've often wondered; who is this man's leaning post?  How can he get comfort and consolation when all of the grizzly scenes cut to the credits; and the parties and participants fade to black?  What audience stands up and applauds this man?  I know almost all will give the obvious answer; but that, I'm fairly certain, can often be a one sided conversation, yes?


If the acts, attitudes and deeds described above do not mirror the definition posed before this writing; I would suggest taking a closer look into the mirror...


I know my friend will be somewhat embarrassed by all of this attention; which only verifies further the kind of man he is.  So I say to you; Doug, get over it...But more importantly, I am honored to say that the man behind this pen is a very good friend indeed.



1 comment:

  1. Never have I ever read a sweeter, more sincere post than this one. So proud of my Uncle Doug and so happy to know that others appreciate him the way you obviously do. He's a hero of mine. Just wanted to thank you for writing this. I know it means a lot to him and his family.

    ReplyDelete